Sunday, January 24, 2016



Update #2


Jan 15 2016
Almost Brigid's Day












One of my rewards is a traditional Brigid's cross, handmade by me from reeds I gather near my little studio in South Kingstown Rhode Island, packed as a unique gift. I've been making these for many years, and sharing them on my Etsy shop.

Brigid's Day is February 1, and make no mistake about it, I chose that as my last day of this Kickstarter for a reason. Brigid's Day, also known as Candlemas or Imbolc, marks a division in the winter season, the quickening of life as sap starts to rise in the trees and lambs are born. The holiday is utterly Celtic, and still celebrated in Ireland by the gathering of reeds and the making of these small crosses. Brigid herself is second only to Patrick among the saints of Ireland and is the patroness of fire, smithing, tools, animal husbandry, hospitality and poetry.

Since she's in charge of the iron tools I use, the season we are about to enter, and remains the most Celtic of saints, I thought it appropriate to share something of Brigid in this project! As the first tiny stirrings before Spring come our way I'll be in the studio, forming inspiration - slowly,gradually -into stonework.

I include a card that explains the traditions and customs surrounding the Brigid's cross with every package. I've shipped these all over the world, even to Ireland. They make a lovely housewarming gift or a special favor for a hostess. Put one near your hearth to protect your home from fire.

Many, many thanks to all who have pledged so far. I'm busily packing for my trip and finishing up work in the studio. I am looking forward to hearing from a few more of you soon, before I get on that plane on Tuesday! Any questions at all, please contact me!

-Laura






No comments:

Post a Comment