Friday, July 1, 2011

The Middlebridge Group

A few years back I decided that I should host some weekend workshops in stone carving at my own studio here in South Kingstown. I was inspired by the utter lack of interest that was shown the classes when I signed up to teach- several years running-  with the South County Neighborhood Guild. The Guild hosts literally hundreds of classes in everything from youth camps to senior yoga, and are about as busy and as active as an outfit can be. I suppose the specialty nature of what I have to offer had a way of just getting lost in the shuffle, despite whatever publicity I could assemble on my own.


So, one summer a few years back I decided to host in my own yard. I soon had two classes full to capacity, and because if the incredible convenience of strolling out my door to work, I was able to offer these at a good discount.

We also potlucked out lunches together, having a fantastic time as a result. I laid on the ice tea and sodas, and we stayed cool under my awning. Some of the work produced has been great, even though everyone was essentially a beginner. I've decided to call us The Middlebridge Group.

I've been doing it every summer since.  Sometimes the class runs, sometimes not quite enough people sign up and we have to skip it, but whenever we do get to have the class, we all agree it to be quite worthwhile.

This year, the classes will be July 23-24 and August 20-21. 10 am to 4 pm- Middlebridge, RI (my studio near the Narrow River, in South Kingstown) Students can choose between using limestone to do a relief carving or soapstone to work in the round. The price for the weekend, $90, includes two days instruction, access to all the tools you need and one piece of stone, as well as cold drinks all day, and the fun or sharing it all! More info and to enroll, laura@as220.org


No comments:

Post a Comment